The Flowers Band
City of Bristol Choir
The second half of the concert is packed with spectacular and uplifting music from the films and the brass band world.
A selection of suites from film scores by John Williams, the world’s most successful film music composer, is combined with the music from James Bond, Brassed Off, and The Mission.
In the world of brass band music, Paul Lovatt Cooper is one of the most sought-after composing talents of his generation, and his piece Walking With Heroes needs to be heard to be believed – this is brass band music at its most flamboyant and uplifting.
All this will be memorably performed by one of the UK’s leading brass bands in collaboration with 120 singers.
Come and enjoy feel-good music for the start of Spring – don’t miss this unique event in Bristol’s musical calendar.
The Flowers Band
The Flowers Band, based in Gloucester, is now in its 41st year. The band rose rapidly up the Championship Section ladder in 1986 where it has since established itself in the top 20 of the Brass Band World Rankings table to become one of the world’s finest brass bands.
In January 2006 the band won the most lucrative prize in banding, The Butlins Mineworkers Open Championships, which netted the band a cheque for £6000 and the magnificent CISWO Championship trophy. The band is the 2007 ‘Champion Band of the West of England’, an accolade which it has previously held in 1991, 1994, 1997 and 2000.
The continued success of the band has led to fourteen appearances at the ‘All England International Masters’ held at the Cambridge Corn Exchange where it maintained a consistent 5th position in 2001, 2002 and 2003 and took the runners up spot in 2006, beating the European and World champions in the process. The Flowers band records regularly for Radio 2’s Listen To The Band and has appeared on BBC 1’s Songs of Praise. They have also appeared as guest artists with British electronica duo Goldfrapp on their Mercury Music Prize nominated album Felt Mountain.
• Philip Wilby’s Brontë Mass (premiere of orchestration for choir and brass band)
• John Williams Olympic Fanfare
• Paul Lovatt Cooper Walking With Heroes
• John Williams: Suites from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace; Harry Potter and Saving Private Ryan
• Excerpts from James Bond, The Mission and Brassed Off
• Hubert Parry I was glad
Area A £18, area B £15, area C £12. Under 18s £5
• Purchase by phone from City of Bristol Choir ticket line on 0117 950 7055 (credit cards accepted)
• Or buy tickets online from the Exultate Singers’ website
• Or buy from the Colston Hall Box Office in person or by phoning 0117 922 3686
• Or buy online from the Colston Hall box office